Sunday, January 15, 2006

fixing various stuff

Today I was fixing various stuff. First I wanted a solution for my Firewire hard disk that was always inaccessible when the disk went to power-save mode because the driver did not manage to wake the disk up again. The solution was pretty easy because when I connected the disk by USB instead of Firewire everything was fine. Although the disk is a bit slower when connected by USB this is an acceptable solution until there is a fix for the sbp2 driver.

After I found that the current SUSE Linux Factory tree is completely broken I decided that I will at least update the kernel manually because I wanted to make use of the very rare opportunity that the main kernel package and the nongpl package were in sync. This fixed two problems on my laptop. The first one was the crashing ath_pci driver and the second one was the fglrx driver that did not work recently but does now again.

Then I provoked the situation too much by upgrading VMware to a newer update release which resulted in broken kernel drivers. I decided to fix this problem another day and instead meet with Martin and Joanna in the club to celebrate the success. Martin did a really strange drink. We will see whether Martin or my VMware kernel modules are more broken tomorrow...

No comments: