Saturday, August 05, 2006

Grouse Mountain

Yesterday I decided to hike Grouse Mountain in the evening. I set up my GPS receiver to head to Grouse Mountain. To see what happens when you select a destination that is not reachable by car I selected the peak. This was not a wise idea because where a car navigation system would have just said that this is not reachable my system with a full topographic card loaded just said: Well, if we can't reach it on public roads then let's continue on some trails and thus wanted to send me up the Old Grouse Mountain Highway. Unfortunately I didn't inspect this any further and started to move the car with the intention just to drive as long as it is possible and allowed to use the car. The result was that I didn't reach the Grouse Grind hiking trail and had to drive around half of the mountain again.

Finally I reached the right place a short time before the trail closed and I can say that the navigation system is really helpful if you have no clue about the street system of an area. The first thing I saw was a number of warning signs about the trail being dangerous and about a black bear in the area. I started going upwards. The first part was stressful but comfortable to walk. After some time of sweating I reached a point that claimed itself as being the 1/4 mark and informed that nobody will take any responsibility if you continue. And it mentioned that it will become steep now and one might consider to return. I continued and found again a sign warning of the black bear. Actually this sign was customizable for various sorts of bears. I climbed and climbed and I found what they meant with steep. There were some areas where it was more comfortable to make use of your hands while climbing. After about 75 minutes and 800 meters in height I reached the platform of the Skyride mountain station. The people there are really funny: They have placed a sign that the ground might be wet. I suppose if you manage to slip on their wet ground you shouldn't have climbed the trail at all.

From this point I could see the peak:

You could also see Vancouver:

And I finally found the bear!

Then I decided to go down again here:

Actually I used a cabin like this:

"Und wer hat's erfunden?"

Reaching the base again I found that the bear didn't take my car and I could drive home again.

No comments: