Friday, November 11, 2005

The world is actually growing!

People often say that the world is getting smaller and smaller nowadays because of means of travel you have in our modern times. This morning when I was doing my running exercise I uncovered an alarming thing: Actually the world is growing! After about the first two kilometers (or better what always used to be the first two kilometers every other day when I was running this path in the past) my GPS receiver told me that I was running a bit further than two kilometers. First I thought that this is the result of one of these synchronization fault peaks you sometimes get shortly after initializing a GPS receiver that results in movements of some hundred meters although you actually did not move at all. Actually it was not. Continuously the number of difference in meters I was running this day up to a specific point on the path and I was running in the past up to the very same point grew higher and higher slowly, although the GPS receiver was pointing exactly to the correct point on the map I was running at that time. I was really alarmed. What did happen? The only solution that came to my mind was: The earth is actually growing and thus enlarging its own surface. What will happen if the surface can no longer stand the pressure of the internal growth? Will the earth explode? My blood ran cold! What if the earth will grow faster than I am able to run towards my home? Will I suffer a similar problem Achilles had when he was running after the turtle? Fortunately with strong effort I finally reached my home again and my GPS receiver told me that the course that used to be about 10 kilometers long has grown by 1500 meters. Stay tuned, I will report the latest findings --- if there are any...

No comments: