Tuesday, December 06, 2005

killing my system softly

I started to destruct my system slowly now by updating to the latest SUSE development snapshot. I could not update the kernel because the available nongpl modules did not fit the kernel base package thus I decided to keep the old kernel. After rebooting to the new system I found the wireless network card and the sound chip did no longer work. A short inspection uncovered that the modules were not loaded. Manually modprobing the drivers made the network available again. Christoph urged me to upgrade the kernel to a recent version so I updated to the one from the Alpha3 release. Now all driver modules were loaded again automatically as before but since that upgrade I need to run wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd manually and I can no longer hear the sound that is claimed to be played which is not really an improvement over modprobing the drivers.

No comments: